The following is a guest post from Felicity Cyrus. Felicity works at a well-known insurance company and often curates articles for cheapautoinsurance. She is also a finance blogger and enjoys spending her weekends with her pet dogs.
With life being fairly uncertain, a car accident can throw your life in a downward spiral. The intensity of the accident is hardly of essence since whether it is a trivial or a major car accident, the immense amount of stress that the human body and mind goes through is indescribable. It is essentially something that stays with you for the longest period of time, its dark shadows never leaving your side. The only consolation at this stressful time is perhaps, the submission of an insurance claim that gives you peace of mind and a ray of hope that at least the physical damage that your beloved car had to go through will be taken care of and you won’t have to suffer quite as much financially. However, if this is your first time dealing with insurance claims, you must be mentally prepared that it could be a daunting task as there could be several formalities involved. You can visit http://cheapautoinsurance.net/ to get a fairly rough idea of the various aspects of insurance that you must first familiarize yourself with and other such formalities that may come handy. Besides, reading through this list given below will build up your confidence and give you a fair picture of what to expect when you wish to get your first claim on your auto insurance.
- How to commence the car insurance claim:
- Whether you submit the claim via the internet or the telephone, you will be asked to enter certain details pertaining to your insurance policy like the insurance policy number or your social security number or any such detail that will prove that you are a customer with that particular insurance company.
- While the process of the claim may seem intimidating, you must take into consideration the fact that several car insurance companies are now realizing the hardships that their first-time customers have to go through when it comes to getting their claims and therefore, they have come up with different techniques that help ease their burden. For instance, in the earlier years, when a claim had to be submitted in the event of an accident, a customer had to call up on their toll-free number and get in touch with a customer service executive who would take the request forward. However, keeping in terms with the modern technology, today, customers can directly submit a request online.
- The basic information you are expected to supply:
- You are also required to furnish information on the car driven by the other party involved in the accident along with details of the police complaint from the police station if they have been involved.
- Based on the company with which you have registered, the requirements for the claim will differ widely. However, every insurance company is likely to expect you to supply them with some basic information that is related to the accident in question and the policy that you have taken from them. Therefore, the first thing you should provide them with is your policy number followed by details of the accident. As a rule of thumb, it is important to offer them details that speak of the date and time of the accident and the location where it took place. It would be a plus if you could be descriptive of the accident.
- What happens after the claim has been filed:
- An insurance adjuster is appointed to look into the claim that has been filed and to make sure that the details have been provided accurately and then the decision is made.